For many people it can be difficult to stay warm in the winter. Hands and feet of course but , many folks have trouble even feeling like their core temperature is warm. It is not uncommon to have a low core temp of 97 degrees which can make a big difference how you warm you do or don’t feel. Here are some simple tips to get in the habit of doing which can transform how you experience winter.
- Add warming spices to your foods. Cinnamon, cardamon, ginger and garlic are just a few. Put a healthy amount of cinnamon in oatmeal. Cardamon too, only just a little because it can be intense. Add extra garlic to your cooking. Cook soups with ginger. You can also just slice some fresh ginger and start the day with it in some hot water with a little honey or maple syrup. Your core will feel warm.
- Warm lemonade is great winter beverage. Simply squeeze some fresh lemon in a glass, sprinkle a little (I mean just a little) cayenne pepper and a healthy tablespoon of maple syrup. Add hot water and stir. It’s a sure fire way to create a hearth inside your core. The lemon helps detoxify the liver and your tissues too as well as aiding in digestion.
- Ginger supplements are good to have on hand on days where you just feel quite cold inside. Take one capsule with food. It’s a great thing to do if you know you are going to be outside later.
- Eat more healthy fat and less empty carbs and sugars. Avocados, nuts and seeds, coconut oil and olive oil are excellent.
- Eat within half an hour of waking up. If you tend to feel cold in general, don’t wait to eat in the morning. You need to stoke your metabolic fire upon waking. So eat something soon upon waking.
Stay Cozy Inside and out!
Tennyson Towl L.Ac., LMT